Thursday, January 6, 2011

Haircut!

I really hate to admit this, but I have not gotten my hair cut since last December and it hasn't been colored since last November. I know, I know, it's bad, very, very bad. However, the situation has been remedied and I have a fresh highlights and a new haircut and I feel much more like myself.

This got me thinking. There is something about a fresh haircut that just makes you feel all fresh and clean and ready to take on the world. Or that's how I feel, so I may be a little crazy! Seriously though, I feel so much better and happier and just more like me.

So now that I feel more like "me" it got me thinking about what all has happened in the last year since I went to see Melissa (my stylist). Luckily we're friends on facebook, so she's seen some of the crazy year, but if she hadn't this is what all she would have learned:

I started grad school. I think at last haircut I had applied, but I had no idea I would get in and I certainly had no idea that I would have started last spring.

I have figured out what I am actually supposed to do with my life. Though it will be a crazy leap of faith I truly feel like this non profit is where I'm supposed to be going.

I lead a wonderful (though a little crazy at times) youth group, that I love, though they make me shake my head at least 15 times each week.

I went to South by Southwest, which was life altering and wonderful.

I learned how to work my swimming pool, which is shocking and wonderful.

I joined Junior League of Norman and love it.

I discovered my love of writing and am finally beginning to believe that I am pretty good at it (thank you to all of you that have encouraged me!).

I rediscovered my bathtub and how much I love reading with candles and bubbles.

My two adorable "nephews" were born and I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of the third (though he better keep his happy butt in there for another 10 weeks!).

I survived the Fall of 2010. That may sound a little simple, however the Fall of 2010 included me being a full time grad student (3 classes equalling 9 hours), working full time 40 hours per week (which also included merging two offices into one, a crazy week of giving out Christmas presents to children in foster care, a printer rollout and a new scanner project, all in the same day, and I feel like there were some other projects in there that I might have blocked :)), Junior League and volunteering as much as I can, all my stuff with CrossTimbers, volunteering at the community Thanksgiving dinner, a crazy trip to NYC that involved 6 shows and the 6th worst blizzard in city history, and football season for a 5 year old, a 10 year old, a 12 year old, a junior in high school and of course my OU Sooners (I'm sorry football is a job in and of itself).

I have realized that I have the most amazing people in my life, some of which are just a lot of fun, and some of which will tell me what I need to hear, not what I want to hear, which is just what I need.

Finally, I had a mildly life altering event happen in August, which I would prefer not to discuss on here, however it kind of resolved my life in many ways, including, my realization that I need to focus on me, to the point that I will not give up everything to be in a relationship (that was a hard pill to swallow).

Looking back on the last year it has certainly been an interesting one. I don't think I would change it for anything though, in fact I know I wouldn't. I love my life how it is right now. I know there are great things coming in the future and I am excited about them. Somewhere during the year I realized just how great my life is just the way it is. I don't know what the future holds, but I have complete confidence that it is going to be amazing. 2011 might just be a good year. :)


***Sidebar: I tried to write the "year in review" blog post earlier in the week and couldn't find anything worthwhile to talk about. Somewhere this week that changed, so maybe 2010 wasn't so bad after all!***

No comments:

Post a Comment