Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mating Rituals of the North American WASP


I started this book at the beginning of March and finished it today. Keep in mind that in that time I also did the majority of the work for 9 hours of grad school, so I get a little bit of a pass. Now that we are to summer and I'm only taking one online class I should be reading a lot more frequently (especially once the pool is open!).

As for this book, even though I was busy it did take me quite awhile to get into it. It is not written in first person, which was a negative for me because I prefer first person. It is partially set in New York, which is a bonus (most books I read tend to be set in NYC). The storyline caught my attention:
Girl goes to Vegas for a bachelorette party. Guy goes to party for business. Girl and guy get drunk and wake up next to each other the next morning. Girl bolts. Guy calls a few days later and informs her that they are married. She lives in NYC running a business, he lives in Connecticut as the quintessential WASP managing the lacking family portfolio. A business arrangement is made between the two as a way make some money. Girl is "engaged to be engaged" to someone else. A relationship of sorts starts with the girl going to Connecticut to play WASP wife on the weekends for a year.
Overall once I got into it I really enjoyed it. I would recommend reading it, but beware it is a little slow at first!

No comments:

Post a Comment