Monday, May 16, 2011

Technicolor

Yesterday Chris continued his series on facebook with a sermon entitled "status update." The general gist of the sermon was that words have great power and we have the choice to use those words for good or for evil and that what we say shows who we are and what we believe in

In an interesting turn of events I was faced with a real life scenario illustrating his point last night. There was a huge misunderstanding regarding the acquisition of some property. Due to this misunderstanding a "friend" on facebook took the situation incredibly wrong and posted a slanderous facebook post about me. There was no doubt in my mind who it was about. (It was pretty obvious and left little to the imagination)

At that moment, in seeing the conduct of this person, I made the conscious choice to remove them from my "friend" list on facebook, as well as the others involved in the situation. To be quite honest this is something I should have done months ago because these people are not my friends, however I don't generally remove people from facebook; the situation must be pretty severe for me to resort to that. In this particular circumstance I felt it was severe enough for me to "unfriend" this group of people.

This was not done out of spite. It was due to the fact that I do not wish to be associated with individuals that would use words in a such a hateful manner. I will be the first to admit that I am guilty of gossiping when I shouldn't, however to blatantly slander another individual in such a public forum is beyond ridiculous and out of my realm of comprehension.

I find it so interesting when Chris' sermons align so well with real life. I think it is important not only to watch how we personally use words, but also to watch those people that we associate with and who we consider to be our friends.

The people that you surround yourself with are the people that others will consider you to resemble.

Personally I do not wish to be associated with people who cannot act like adults when they are in fact, at least chronologically, adults.

Rather than condemning these people I will say a prayer for them.
  • I pray that they find some peace in their life, for it seems to me that they are lacking some peace.
  • I pray that they find happiness in themselves, for it seems to me that they are lacking happiness.
  • I pray that they find contentment in their life, for it seems to me that they are lacking contentment.
I leave you with a quote:

Show class, have pride, and display character. If you do, winning takes care of itself. ~"Bear" Bryant, University of Alabama football coach

No comments:

Post a Comment