Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Movie Challenge: Day 10

favorite classic movie


Wizard of Oz


Easy! The summer before my freshman year I was in Wizard of Oz at our local community theatre. I had the starring roll of Ribbon Salesman. My lines were: ribbons and bows, ribbons and bows, and I don't remember the rest. At any rate when the show was over Wizard started haunting me. By this I mean just about every day there would be some reference to Wizard. This went on for several months, or years.

My junior year my high school did Wizard. By this point I had started to do more behind the scenes stuff (because I cannot carry a tune in a bucket) and was Stage Manager for the show. It was a lot of fun, though a pretty stressful show, because even though it was a high school production we had Flying by Foy come and so the witches could fly through the show. At this point my high school music teacher (now my good friend Lisa) and I were informed that our high school auditorium should have been condemned. We also had a little issue with getting the backdrops. Lisa and I had to hunt FedEx down (needless to say I'm not all that fond of FedEx to this day). There was also a little issue with one batten (the pole that holds the backdrop) that would not come down below about 18 foot above the ground. Guess which loyal stage manager got to climb a ladder and tie one tie, then be pushed over a few feet (while still on the ladder) and tie the next, this went on for the length of the batten.

Overall both shows were amazing experiences and I love them both. Wizard, which I now collect memorabilia from, is my favorite classic movie to this day.

As a side note, I don't remember when I first saw the movie, but I do remember not being allowed to watch it for a long time because my parents were afraid I would have nightmares.

No comments:

Post a Comment